This article was written for the Coronavirus where many countries are struggling and their people might be in a lockdown. The lockdowns last about 6-8 weeks. In Australia we are really lucky that our lockdowns involve trips to the supermarket
But here is our list. You can mix and match the foods that you have to your liking. Our list is full of the foods that you’ll need to survive and stay nourished without putting on much weight.
- Frozen fruit and veg- it’s a good idea to stock up on the fruits and veg at the market or green grocer and then keep some of it in the freezer. They last up to a month or two. You can make smoothies and meals out of them. Even better if you have a veggie patch where you can pick your veg each day.
- Canned veg and tomatoes- this is good for soups and sauces such as bolognaise. You should have enough to get you through the lockdown
- Rice- you need some sort of carbs to get through the day. About 2 bags of 10kgs of rice will be enough for the lockdown
- Canned meat and tuna- we need to have our proteins each day. Get a variety of different meats and things.
- Soup stock- this will be good for making all sorts of soups when you need it
- Cooking oil- you should have about 5L which is enough to get you through the lockdown and safely on the other side of the pandemic
- Flour- you should have about 5-10kgs of flour for making bread and cakes and things like pasta
- Long life milk- this will come in handy if you want to make a whole range of things like pancakes and sauces for meals. Plus it is good for the bones. Get about 12 cartons of 1L milks to last you. These can keep for about 6 months.
- Frozen meat and fish- you should have enough to last you about 3-6 weeks. Frozen proteins can keep for a while in the freezer. You just have to defrost what you’ll need each day
- Herbs and spices- you should already have a whole thing of them and if you are lucky you might just grow them in your garden