As new members we should learn about gym safety as it helps us to enjoy our workouts stress free and injury free
Here are some tips:
- Tie long hair back. Long hair gets caught in the machinery and is really dangerous.
- Don’t do too much in your first few sessions especially if you haven’t been exercising for a while. You’ll get really sore by the end and you may hurt yourself. Start off with some easy lunges and pushups and jumps and go from there.
- Wear enclosed footwear- this is to protect your feet if you drop a weight or something on it. Or someone accidentally steps on your foot
- Don’t carry weights that are waaay too heavy for you. You will hurt yourself. If you want to do that weight, slowly build up to it. It takes time to deadlift 85kg.
- Ask one of the personal trainers or an older member to show you the correct techniques.
- An obvious one- don’t use machinery if its broken. Instead let the reception staff know and they will send maintenance on to fix it. For older members, if you see a new member on that machine and you know that it doesn’t work, say something to them
What happens if you get injured at the gym?
If you get injured really badly at the gym you may have to go to the hospital. When you sign the contract with the gym make sure you know what your rights are if you are injured. You may not be covered if the accident was your fault and you knew how to prevent it. But if you didn’t know, then you may be compensated for your injury.