We all need some salt in our diet. But most of the time we have too much salt and that is bad for you. According to mydr.com a male consumes about 10.1g of salt per day and a female about 7.34g. We use salt to flavour our food.
What happens when you eat too much salt?
- You could develop high blood pressure which in turn increases your risk of a stroke or a heart attack
- You could gain weight
- You could be dehydrated
How much salt should we have?
According to the WHO we should have about 5g of salt per day. That is about one teaspoon. Some salt a day is good for you but don’t go too overboard. Salt is good for making sodium which regulates the blood pressure and the body’s fluids.
Here’s how to reduce salt
- Limit takeaway foods- just have them once in a while
- Don’t use salt (or if you must a pinch of salt is fine) in your cooking
- Many of the Asian sauces like black bean and soy sauce have too much salt in them.
- Limit fried foods. Most of the fried foods you get outside has too much salt in them
- Limit processed chips. Instead why not make your own? You can do it in an airfryer and there are many recipes online for this.
- Some of the breads you buy have salt in them. Why not make your own or check the label before you buy?
- You should limit processed meats like ham and salami and other deli meats to just special occasions