We talk about these fad diets and why they never work.
Restrictive diets never work. In the end you’ll just end up being unhealthy and lacking in energy.
I found out about this diet from Amy Lee Giannotti. She is a nutritionist in Melbourne and has been coaching women for a while now. I follow her on Instagram.
What are they?
They are all about what you can eat and what you can’t eat whilst on one. There’s a whole range of different ones such as Paleo, Whole 30 etc.
People follow them just to lose weight. They usually promise a quick fix for their weight problem
We can find them all over the internet.
Gameplan-a says that restrictive diets create millionaires not athletes.
We need carbs, proteins, and fats as well as vitamins and minerals to be healthy. And if we aren’t getting one of everything each day then we are unhealthy.
Some personal trainers recommend cutting out certain food groups but we’d advise against it. This is how they sell their programs.
So how do you spot a fad diet or restrictive diet?
- These diets get rid of a certain food group. Ie a lot of restrictive rules
- They promote weight loss success in the fact that it’s rapid. People generally lose about 1-2kg or even three kgs per week depending on their makeup and what they do.
- Most celebrities and some personal trainers are on them.
- They also have a certain amount of #fitspo to them on Instagram
- Implies that a certain food can change the body chemistry. As such there is no such thing.
- Promotes magic foods to get rid of the bloating and belly fat
- Makes claims on a single study or good testimonials only.
Symptoms of going on a fad diet
They can be:
- For women not getting your period in a long time due to lack of energy
- A decline in performance for athletes that do long distance running and other events
- Lack of vitamins and minerals
- Nausea and headaches
What do we recommend?
If you really want to lose weight, we recommend the old way of calories in, calories out. And we recommend doing exercise as well as eating healthy and not going on those fad diets.
We also recommend the lose weight for health and not looks approach. You could be really fat but are still healthy. This is due to having some lean muscle and a low body fat percentage. Also your water levels could have gone up. As a woman your weight will change on a weekly basis due to hormones.