The afternoon slump is when we feel tired, sluggish and simply don’t want to concentrate or do anything. We yawn, fall asleep, get headaches, become moody, get muscle weakness, get fatigued, crave carbohydrates, etc.
As office workers, we get the afternoon slump at 3pm. Most people go for coffees in hopes that it will perk them up for the rest of the afternoon. We also have cakes and other sweet treats at this time.
Sugar cravings for many of us are real, as this is the time when your hormones decline and you need that sugar hit to keep you going. People that go for processed foods tend to feel the slump a bit more. People that eat large meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner will also feel the slump.
I have been to many cafes around this time with my pot of tea and notice that many people order coffees. Coffee is a dehydrator and more than one coffee would dehydrate you. This is also why people put on weight and some may become moody.
But in fact, it would keep you awake at night. If you don’t get any exercise in you’ll be more awake and then you put on weight.
This weight is due to your cortisol levels going up and up.
So how to get rid of the 3pm slump
- Go to bed at a reasonable time. You need about 7-9 hours of shut-eye.
- Go for a run at lunchtime- that vitamin d would do you good.
- Walk or cycle to work. It’s a good way to clear the mind and keep you energized for the day.
- Do have a healthy lunch instead of going out for lunch- your body will thank you for this. A healthy lunch can include tuna and beans or a salad. But if you have to go out then I suggest sushi or Vietnamese food.
- Do have some snacks at your desk- these can include walnuts, a can of tuna, miso soup, vegetables, peanut butter, etc.
- Having green tea is a great idea. It helps to calm you so that you can be more focussed on the task at hand.
- Don’t have caffeine after 12pm- the body needs time to wind down.
- Eat breakfast every day- don’t skip breakfast. People who skip breakfast tend to go on a binge later on in the day and they put on the weight.
- Don’t eat processed foods. Instead, we should go for whole foods.
- Go for 5 or 6 meals a day.
- Put plants in your office and it is whatever rocks your boat.
- Try some yoga or meditation
- Try and socialise with people if you can. But if you’re busy its ok.